Search

Chadwell Heath’s fire-ravaged Grove Social Club reopens after refurbishment

PUBLISHED: 16:00 18 February 2012

Social club commitee members Richard Parish, Simon Hearn and Valerie Parish

Social club commitee members Richard Parish, Simon Hearn and Valerie Parish

Archant

A decades-old social club wrecked by fire has reopened its doors 16 months after the devastating blaze.

Grove Social Club, Grove Road, Chadwell Heath, welcomed back members last week as its repaired and repainted building flung open its doors.

About 300 members still signed up to the club will be able to enjoy everything from pool and darts tournaments to entertainment nights.

The cause of the October 2010 fire has never been uncovered, though it was not suspicious. It gutted one of the club’s two bars, while the other was damaged by water.

Club chairman Val Parish said: “It took several months to deal with the insurance claim but we got there in the end.

“It took three months to do the work and we’ve kept everything inside as it was.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder