Chadwell Heath’s fire-ravaged Grove Social Club reopens after refurbishment
A decades-old social club wrecked by fire has reopened its doors 16 months after the devastating blaze.
Grove Social Club, Grove Road, Chadwell Heath, welcomed back members last week as its repaired and repainted building flung open its doors.
About 300 members still signed up to the club will be able to enjoy everything from pool and darts tournaments to entertainment nights.
The cause of the October 2010 fire has never been uncovered, though it was not suspicious. It gutted one of the club’s two bars, while the other was damaged by water.
Club chairman Val Parish said: “It took several months to deal with the insurance claim but we got there in the end.
You may also want to watch:
“It took three months to do the work and we’ve kept everything inside as it was.”
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 4 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 10 Plans for retail park development move step closer