Chadwell Heath’s fire-ravaged Grove Social Club reopens after refurbishment
A decades-old social club wrecked by fire has reopened its doors 16 months after the devastating blaze.
Grove Social Club, Grove Road, Chadwell Heath, welcomed back members last week as its repaired and repainted building flung open its doors.
About 300 members still signed up to the club will be able to enjoy everything from pool and darts tournaments to entertainment nights.
The cause of the October 2010 fire has never been uncovered, though it was not suspicious. It gutted one of the club’s two bars, while the other was damaged by water.
Club chairman Val Parish said: “It took several months to deal with the insurance claim but we got there in the end.
You may also want to watch:
“It took three months to do the work and we’ve kept everything inside as it was.”
- 1 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 2 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 8 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder