Chadwell Heath fire still being investigated
INVESTIGATORS are still at the scene of a fire which swept through a social club yesterday afternoon.
Thirty firefighters spent three and a half hours battling flames at Grove Social Club, Grove Road, Chadwell Heath.
The blaze sparked at around 4.45pm and was spotted by residents who lived nearby.
The building was empty at the time.
Crews from Hainault, Romford, Dagenham, East Ham and Hornchurch Fire Stations tackled the fire.
You may also want to watch:
One neighbor, who spotted smoke pouring from the building, said: “I could smell it, it was very acrid.
“There were a lot of fire engines everywhere, it was quite dramatic.”
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 4 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 5 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 8 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 9 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 10 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
A team of investigators are still combing the scene to try and discover the cause of the fire, which damaged the roof and part of the ground floor.
Club chairman Val Parish said members were very upset when they heard the news.
She said: “It sounds like the damage inside is quite intense.
“It’s very hard to take in at the moment.
“We’ve been here since before the war.
“Its going to be a while before we know the extent of the damage or what caused it.”
Did you see the fire? Email any comments or pictures to email@example.com