Celebrations as Barkingside charity amends housing estate plan
Pensioners have claimed �victory after a children’s charity amended plans for a 142-home housing estate �opposite their Barkingside retirement �village.
Copperfield Court Residents’ Association voiced their concerns two months ago to the Recorder over the development at its headquarters, near Civic Way, which Barnardo’s had been planning since 1997.
Following a meeting �between the charity, Ilford North MP Lee Scott, Cllr �Vanessa Cole and managers for the retirement village Anchor Trust on Monday, an agreement was made with the pensioners.
The amended plans include turning the new housing �estate, which the charity plans to sell on the open market, so it does not face the pensioners, reducing the height of the homes and changing a footpath, so it does not link the estate with the retirement village.
Residents’ association chairwoman Hilda Berkoff said: “We are very grateful to MP Lee Scott and Cllr Vanessa Cole for giving us their time and support, with their help, things have moved on very quickly.”.
You may also want to watch:
A Barnardo’s spokeswoman said: “We are pleased that the ongoing dialogue with �local politicians and residents has led to what should be a positive outcome for all parties.
“Barnardo’s has listened and acted on residents’ �concerns to resolve all outstanding issues and we now look forward to moving ahead with the amended plans for the development as a whole.”
- 1 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 2 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 East London police officer charged with rape
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 7 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 8 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 9 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 10 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
The charity has promised to continue to work with the residents and others �involved.
The new plans will be put before Redbridge’s regulatory committee on August 25.