Car chase through Ilford town centre sees suspects escape after colliding with other vehicles
- Credit: Archant
A heavy police presence has been reported in Ilford tonight after suspects who failed to stop for officers were able to escape during a car chase through the town centre.
A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman confirmed officers began a pursuit after a car failed to stop in Hainault Street, Ilford, at 5.38pm.
She added: “The suspect vehicle collided with a number of other vehicles, but there are no reports of any injuries.
“The suspects made off from the scene and the pursuit was lost.”
An eyewitness told the Recorder there was an odd atmosphere in central Ilford in the wake of the incident, which is believed to have taken place just outside the General Havelock pub.
You may also want to watch:
They said they had seen three buses parked, empty and driverless, along Ilford High Road in the wake of the incident.
A police helicopter was also seen hovering over the town centre at around 6.10pm.
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 4 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 5 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 6 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
- 7 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 8 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 9 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 10 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder