Candle to blame for Wanstead house fire

A fire at a terraced house in Wanstead is believed to have been caused by an unattended candle.

About 20 firefighters and four fire engines were called to the house in Kingfisher Avenue, Wanstead at 5.12am on Sunday.

Part of the first floor and the roof were both damaged with firefighters getting the blaze under control by 7am.

The fire is believed to have been accidental.

In a tweet at 6.40am that morning, Transport for London said the A12 slip road from Wanstead High Street was closed but was reopen at 7.30am.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus