Calls for Glasbury House closure to be deferred
- Credit: Archant
Plans to close a countryside retreat which has been visited by Redbridge school pupils for more than 50 years have been criticised.
Redbridge Council is proposing to shut Glasbury House, its outdoor activity centre, in a bid to save around £175,000 a year.
But opponents of the plan have said it will rob youngsters of the chance to get out of the borough and see other parts of the countryside.
Redbridge Conservative leader Cllr Paul Canal said he had asked the council to defer the plans, which are due to go before the health, leisure and older people service committee on Monday (November 3).
Cllr Canal said: “What we need to do is ensure we afford our children the opportunity to be inspired.
You may also want to watch:
“If there’s a way of making this work, we should do it – not throw away 50 years of history without a second thought.”
The closure of the site, near Hay-on-Wye, would make eight permanent employees redundant.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 5 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 6 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
Cllr Wes Streeting, deputy leader and cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said the recommendation for closure had been made “with a heavy heart”.
“Despite our best efforts, and the efforts of the previous coalition administration, the council can’t turn Glasbury into a financially sustainable operation,” he said.
The council is aiming to cut £70million from its budget over the next three years, with the site estimated to sell for £1million.
If closed, the centre – which also provides expedition opportunities for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award – would honour bookings up until the end of July 2015.
Cllr Streeting said the council hoped to reinvest savings in improving facilities within the borough.
“This will mean residents have the high-quality opportunities on their doorsteps and ensure council funding is used more sustainably in future years,” he said.
To view the report, visit redbridge.gov.uk.