Cadets get to visit the classroom-on-sea
MINE-hunter HMS Cattistock provided a great classroom for these Sea Cadets of West Ham s T.S. Thunderer unit when the boat docked in the Royal Victoria Dock. During the visit cadets found themselves able to experience wearing diving gear and testing fire
MINE-hunter HMS Cattistock provided a great classroom for these Sea Cadets of West Ham's T.S. Thunderer unit when the boat docked in the Royal Victoria Dock.
During the visit cadets found themselves able to experience wearing diving gear and testing fire equipment.
And all under the watchful eye of the crew and its Captain, Lt Commander Charles Maynard.
Having got command this year, following service in the Gulf on another mine-hunter, he told his visitors that his ship was commissioned into the Royal Navy in June 1982.
You may also want to watch:
She is part of the Second Mine Counter Measures Squadron based at Portsmouth and her primary role is to counter the threat of sea mines.
The hull and most of the superstructure are constructed from material that is both non-magnetic and strong enough to withstand the explosive shocks likely to be encountered in a mine environment.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 3 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 8 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 9 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
She was in London to attended Oceanology International, a three-day event at ExCeL, which showcased the world's latest marine science and ocean technology.
Visitors were able to tour a flotilla of survey and naval vessels to view state-of-the-art ocean navigation and observation technology as well as witnessing dockside demonstrations of unmanned underwater vehicles and seabed survey equipment.