Busy Mitzvah Day is in store for Redbridge residents
People of all religions and ages are set to take part in a Jewish-led day of social action today in events organised across Redbridge.
Mitzvah Day encourages people to get involved in hands-on projects – without fundraising – to support charities and help build stronger communities.
The sixth national Mitzvah Day, of which the Recorder is a media partner, is expecting to attract around 25,000 volunteers across the country.
Some projects started early with youngsters from Ilford Jewish Primary School, Barkingside and St Augustine’s Catholic Primary School, Gants Hill bringing in food for the homeless and new toys for Camp Simcha on Friday.
Redbridge is also set for a “mitzover” today with buildings and outside areas benefiting from some much-needed tender loving care.
You may also want to watch:
Clayhall Synagogue and Redbridge Jewish Community Centre – Sinclair House in Woodford Bridge Road will both receive a sprucing up.
Members at Ilford Federation Synagogue, Coventry Road, Ilford will also be keeping themselves busy decorating and collecting food for the elderly.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 5 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 6 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 9 School Streets scheme to expand in September
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
One of the biggest schemes based around Mitzvah Day is the “give away your lunch” initiative which was launched this year and began on Friday in work-places across the borough.
Redbridge Council workers gave away their lunch to the Salvation Army in Ilford and Recorder staff will be joining in on Tuesday.