Indoor panto safe but outdoor food markets are not decrees Redbridge Council
- Credit: Ace Events
Traders at the South Woodford and Wanstead outdoor markets are wondering why the council shut them down due to rising Covid-19 cases but is fine with some indoor activities such as panto.
Just 12 hours before the outdoor markets were set to open the council decided to cancel them.
It said it is restricting the operation of events it has control over to help bring the infection rates down but has allowed some indoor activities to go forward, such as the Kenneth More's panto, run by the council’s culture and leisure partner Vision RCL, which opened last night (December 9).
On the same day the markets were closed the indoor Wanstead Local Makers Market went ahead at Christchurch hall. The council said it does not license or control markets which take place on private land.
Trader Jo Mayne was busy preparing hundreds of churros when the word came down that the outdoor market was cancelled.
She told the Recorder: "Why us? If all was well and approved, why cancel at such a late hour?"
You may also want to watch:
The market's organiser Ace Events got the initial go-ahead from the council on the Wednesday before it was set to open. Jo and the other traders ordered and prepared all their stock which then went to waste.
A Redbridge Council spokesperson said the decision to cancel the markets was not an easy one but it was taken to protect people to reduce the infection rate.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 7 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 8 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
“Our outdoor markets are popular and always attract large crowds. We feel for market traders, as they have had a terrible year.
"It can’t be easy for them as they struggle to make ends meet. With this in mind, we are working closely with market organisers to support stallholders as much as we can.”
A spokesperson for Ace Events said that safety measures had been in place throughout the summer months when the market re-opened with traders wearing PPE, one-way systems in place and social distancing markers.
"I have no problem with them cancelling it if they gave proper notice.
"The cases didn't drastically change over two days and if they had told me beforehand then my traders would not have spent their money and time to prepare their goods.
"A few of my traders are really going to struggle for Christmas."