Business: Philomena Milburn on opening her first beauty salon in Green Lane, Goodmayes
- Credit: Archant
Philomena Milburn looked everywhere for a suitable place to open her first salon – but in the end only Goodmayes would do.
“It’s a lovely area,” she said. “The neighbours spoke very highly about it and how popular it is.
“There are no restrictions on parking, and these days you don’t really get that everywhere.
“We live nearby, and the kids go to school nearby.
“It’s a nice location.
“I was looking in Walthamstow, but to be honest the Green Lane one was the most suitable.”
It’s the first time the family has run a salon in the UK.
- 1 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 2 Events held to mark Ilford Christmas lights switch-on
- 3 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 4 No more strikes planned at school but dispute resolution unclear
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Missing man seen on Chigwell Road found 'safe and well'
- 7 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Update on search for older man walking barefoot along Chigwell Road
- 10 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
But back in Nigeria, both Philomena’s mother and sister worked in the beauty business.
“I’ve always had salons in my family,” she told the Recorder. “Mum had one in Nigeria, so I had an interest in working in salons from a very early age.
“I’ve always loved the environment – I feel like it’s a place where people come with their problems.”
As well as listening ears, Philomena and her staff offer capable hands, with services for both men and women.
The women’s beauty salon and the men’s barber shop are separated by a wall, offering privacy she says has been welcomed especially by the Muslim community.
And inside there’s a mini-shop selling the products Philomena and her staff use – so customers can recreate a bit of the salon experience at home.
Philomena reckons that’s one of the things that makes the shop stand out.
“There’s no other shop that sells hair products on Green Lane,” she said. “Without it you’d have to go to Heathway to get them.”
The salon – simply called Philomena – opened on Friday.
Students can get a discount. Call the shop on 020 8590 7129 for more information.