Burst water pipe at Goodmayes Hospital Radio causes £30k worth of damage
- Credit: Vickie Flores/Archant
A radio studio “looked like a sauna” after a water pipe burst causing an estimated £30,000 worth of damage to broadcasting equipment.
Mere weeks after Goodmayes Radio Hospital, Barley Lane, Ilford, celebrated its 40th birthday, hot water spurted from a leak in the radiator and coated everything in the vicinity - from ceiling to floor - including computers, microphones and a TV.
Lee Howe, engineer for The Jumbo Sound Radio, was first on the scene and said: “As I approached the room I could hear a hissing sound, but I through someone had just left a speaker on.
“There was also an odd smell and it felt hot, but to be honest that is not unusual for that room.”
As Mr Howe opened the door he was met with a wall of humidity.
You may also want to watch:
The carpet was drenched, the ceiling was covered in condensation and the only items not wet were under a desk. Mr Howe added: “I have got to go through 40 items and check if they function, including three main computers and a mixer worth £7000.
“I was literally pouring water out of the computer and it will take at least a week to dry out – the inside could be drowning in water.
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 3 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 4 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 5 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 6 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 7 Redbridge leisure centres reopen after latest easing of restrictions
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 9 Physical and mental health long-Covid rehab programme launches in Ilford
- 10 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
“It took a year to update all the software and then this happens and we are back to the beginning three days later.”
Mr Howe got soaked saving the equipment and used a plastic bin to deflect the warm water.
The North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT) is sourcing a dehumidifier to help clean up the room. Presenter Martin Levin said: “We are feeling very down about it and we are not able to broadcast a live show at the moment.
“The keyboard was typing by itself and we wondered if we had a poltergeist, but it was actually drips from the ceiling - the equipment was still working and the live web cam was broadcasting through the leak.
“The situation is shocking and Lee was fast off the mark saving the equipment and turning off the power, especially as he couldn’t see his hands in front of him.”
To volunteer or help The Jumbo Sound call: 0208 215 8620 or email: email@example.com