Builder Gavin swaps shedding pounds for raising them
A CONSTRUCTION worker who shed 10 stone in less than two years has set himself a new challenge of raising pounds of a different sort for charity. Gavin Gould, of Hillyfields, Loughton, is embarking on three cycle rides – including a stint in Vietnam – in
A CONSTRUCTION worker who shed 10 stone in less than two years has set himself a new challenge of raising pounds of a different sort for charity.
Gavin Gould, of Hillyfields, Loughton, is embarking on three cycle rides - including a stint in Vietnam - in aid of the British Heart Foundation, Great Ormond Street Hospital and prostate cancer.
The 39-year-old said: "It's a bit of a personal challenge for me after being so focused on losing weight. This is my way of saying thanks and giving something back."
Two years ago the building site manager decided drastic action was needed after weighing in at 24 and a half stone during a routine check-up.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "My doctor sent me to hospital for lots of tests because I was morbidly obese.
"It scared me, and when I was told my blood pressure was up and my cholesterol was through the roof, I realised I had to change my life."
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
Gavin joined a gym and lost two stone before deciding to sign up to the Lighter Life diet programme which encourages clients to eat soup and milkshakes.
He added: "I didn't know what to expect but they make you realise that you are accountable for your actions and I learned a lot about myself."
Gavin also took up cycling to help him reach his target weight of 14 and a half stone, and he cycles the 20-mile round trip to work at Kier London in Edmonton as often as he can.
He is now preparing to cycle from London to Brighton in June, and from London to Southend in July in aid of the British Heart Foundation.
He hopes to achieve his final goal of cycling around Vietnam in aid of Great Ormond Street and prostate cancer in November 2011 but will need to raise �3,000 in sponsorship money.