Brilliant Bancroft grab national netball bronze
Bancroft School’s under-19 girls clinched bronze at the Eteach National Schools’ Netball Finals at Southampton Outdoor Sports Centre on Saturday.
Regarded as one of the most prestigious events in the netballing calendar, 18 teams qualified for the Finals from the 54 original entrants, spread across three age groups.
Bancroft topped their group with eight wins from nine games, with their solitary defeat coming against a very physical Roedean team.
The Woodford school progressed to meet Cardinal Newman School in the last four, but lost 12-7.
They were left to battle it out with Sharnbrook Upper School in the third/fourth place play-off and secured a 12-10 victory to bag the bronze medal.
You may also want to watch:
Bancroft’s coach Pam Telford, said: “Half of the team will be leaving school this summer, I have coa-ched them since they were 11 and am delighted that they are going out on a high.”
In the other half of the draw Barking Abbey School recorded a 100 per cent record in the group stage, before beating Sharnbrook 17-5 in ther semis.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 9 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
- 10 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
The gold medal was secured with a 17-5 win against Cardinal Newman in the final.