Union calls off Tube strike
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Next week’s planned 48-hour Tube strike - which would have affected Central line services in Redbridge - has been called off.
Tube union the Rail and Maritime Transport Union (RMT) said “substantial movement” had been made in talks with Transport for London.
Phil Hufton, chief operating officer of London Underground (LU), said he was pleased Londoners “would not have to endure unnecessary strike action next week”.
RMT bosses had called the two-day walkout - due to start on Tuesday night - as part of their ongoing row over ticket office closures, working hours and job losses.
The union said Tube bosses had agreed to hold further consultations on the planned closures and cut the number of job losses, and had given guarantees on pay and other issues.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hufton said: “Although it was not made clear why the RMT called for strike action on Monday evening, we met with them at Acas yesterday and the good news is that by providing some basic clarity the threatened strike and the current overtime ban have now been withdrawn.
“Nothing positive would be achieved through this strike action and this threat had no logic to it whatsoever apart from attempting to disrupt hard working Londoners and their members losing two days pay.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers