BREAKING NEWS: Workers evacuated as Ilford gas leak investigated
People are being evacuated from buildings this morning as a gas leak inside a disused swimming pool is investigated.
Fire crews were called to Ilford Baths in High Road, Ilford, at about 11.25am today to reports a gas pipe inside the building had been severed.
The neighbouring Ilford Fire Station has been evacuated, as has a nearby office with a police cordon in place across a section of High Road.
Redbridge fire borough commander Steve Brown said: “We’ve been informed a gas pipe has been ruptured.
“A police cordon is in place while we isolate the gas supply.”
You may also want to watch:
The gas board is currently at the scene.
Confuting reports suggest the pipe was damaged either by workmen who occasionally enter the building, or vagrants.
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge
The Recorder office in High Road, Ilford and the nearby Cauliflower pub have not been evacuated as yet.
Are you at the scene? Call the Recorder on 020 8477 3806 or email email@example.com.