BREAKING NEWS: Workers evacuated as Ilford gas leak investigated
People are being evacuated from buildings this morning as a gas leak inside a disused swimming pool is investigated.
Fire crews were called to Ilford Baths in High Road, Ilford, at about 11.25am today to reports a gas pipe inside the building had been severed.
The neighbouring Ilford Fire Station has been evacuated, as has a nearby office with a police cordon in place across a section of High Road.
Redbridge fire borough commander Steve Brown said: “We’ve been informed a gas pipe has been ruptured.
“A police cordon is in place while we isolate the gas supply.”
You may also want to watch:
The gas board is currently at the scene.
Confuting reports suggest the pipe was damaged either by workmen who occasionally enter the building, or vagrants.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 8 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 9 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
The Recorder office in High Road, Ilford and the nearby Cauliflower pub have not been evacuated as yet.
Are you at the scene? Call the Recorder on 020 8477 3806 or email email@example.com.