BREAKING NEWS: Workers evacuated as Ilford gas leak investigated
People are being evacuated from buildings this morning as a gas leak inside a disused swimming pool is investigated.
Fire crews were called to Ilford Baths in High Road, Ilford, at about 11.25am today to reports a gas pipe inside the building had been severed.
The neighbouring Ilford Fire Station has been evacuated, as has a nearby office with a police cordon in place across a section of High Road.
Redbridge fire borough commander Steve Brown said: “We’ve been informed a gas pipe has been ruptured.
“A police cordon is in place while we isolate the gas supply.”
You may also want to watch:
The gas board is currently at the scene.
Confuting reports suggest the pipe was damaged either by workmen who occasionally enter the building, or vagrants.
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
The Recorder office in High Road, Ilford and the nearby Cauliflower pub have not been evacuated as yet.
Are you at the scene? Call the Recorder on 020 8477 3806 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.