Brazil day a success at Woodford Green school
- Credit: Archant
The spirit of Brazil was brought to a school for a special day in celebration of the World Cup.
Youngsters and staff at Woodford Green Preparatory School dressed in yellow and green on Monday to recognise the host country of the football competition.
A special programme was devised for the children by their teachers, which included learning about the animals and plants of the Amazon rainforest, completing quizzes and taking part in orienteering in the school grounds.
There was also a themed lunch prepared by kitchen staff which included hot dogs, Samba music and decorations.
Natasha Cunningham, head of geography at the Glengall Road school, said: “It was great that everyone entered into the spirit of the day. Around the school the atmosphere was fantastic and there was a buzz of learning.
You may also want to watch:
“Hopefully the children have a better understanding of this amazing country that is so far away, but is also so important to all of our lives.”
The children, who donated to the Sky Amazon Rainforest Rescue on the day, are now writing and filming news reports about the rainforest to enter into a national contest run by Sky.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening