Brady breaks Orient hearts

Orient boss Russell Slade (Pic: Simon O'Connor)

Orient boss Russell Slade (Pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Archant

Capital One Cup: Leyton Orient 0 Hull 1 (after extra time)

Hull sub Robbie Brady sunk Orient with an extra time strike, seconds after coming off the bench at Brisbane Road.

And a Capital One Cup exit was harsh on Russell Slade’s League One table-toppers, after they had the better of this second round tie against the Premier League new boys.

The two clubs had met in the FA Cup last season, with Hull going through after a replay.

But O’s looked set for revenge after creating the better chances during normal time, only for Brady to shatter hopes of a giantkilling.

You may also want to watch:

Only three minutes had been played when a lovely diagonal ball from David Mooney found Moses Odubajo, who was tackled in the box by Cameron Stewart at the expense of a corner.

And O’s went close from the set-piece, which was swung in by Lloyd James and clipped narrowly over the bar by Romain Vincelot.

Most Read

Another impressive delivery from Mooney, wide on the left, on eight minutes was headed over by Kevin Lisbie as the home side settled quickly.

Steve Harper had to race out of his box on 17 minutes to beat Lisbie to a long ball from midfield and when Stewart fouled Odubajo wide on the right, James swung in another dangerous free-kick, which was headed behind for another corner.

James tried his luck from fully 30 yards on 27 minutes, when Dean Cox’s left-wing cross was only half-cleared, but Harper gathered comfortably by his right-hand post and Mooney’s effort from similar range was always rising soon after.

But it had been an encouraging opening half-hour by Slade’s men as Hull barely threatened Jamie Jones at the other end.

James was left in a heap by David Meyler’s heavy challenge, but referee Gavin Ward allowed play to continue, until Odubajo was penalised for a foul on Stewart on the counter-attack, to the chagrin of the Orient players who felt the initial tackle on their teammate was worthy of a free kick.

Hull captain Paul McShane was then penalised, to the delight of home fans, for a trip on Lisbie on 36 minutes, some 25 yards and to the right of centre, but James curled the ball to the far post and beyond and the chance went begging.

O’s got a good clear sight of goal on 40 minutes, though, when Cox picked out Mooney with a deep cross, only for the Irishman to send his header wide.

Mooney put his hands on his head as a possible fifth goal of the season avoided him but O’s had clearly had the better of the opening half.

The second half was barely two minutes old when Hull had their best chance of the tie as Meyler got up to meet Stewart’s left-wing corner with a downward header, which Lisbie hacked clear at the far post.

And Lisbie then got a glimpse at the other end, only to see his well-struck drive from just inside the box blocked by a Hull defender.

A heavy first touch denied Lisbie a better chance on 54 minutes, after James had won possession in midfield and Cox had threaded a good pass into the veteran striker’s path in the box.

And Odubajo was unable to accept a chance on his weaker left foot just before the hour after patient probing on the right saw Cox find Mooney, whose cut-back was steered well wide by Orient’s all-action right-back.

Mooney’s low drive from the left side of the box was easily smothered by Harper on 63 minutes as O’s continued to look more likely to claim the first goal of the night.

And Cox swapped passes with Marvin Bartley, only to curl a 20-yard effort, uncharacteristically, high over the crossbar.

Slade sent Yohann Lasimant on for Lisbie midway through the half and Johnny Gorman followed soon after, replacing Bartley.

And there was an anxious moment for Slade moments later when Jones reached for a left-wing cross and collided with Aaron McLean on the edge of his six-yard box.

James fired a free-kick wide of the near post in the 74th minute and Lasimant stabbed an effort well wide of the far post when the ball broke kindly for him from a Mooney flick-on.

And when Alex Bruce barged Gorman off the ball by the left corner flag, Cox swung in a free-kick which Lasimant glanced goalwards but saw a Hull defender hack clear.

Harper turned the ball over his own crossbar when McShane headed Nathan Clarke’s long throw on and Vincelot had a scrambled far post effort from the resulting corner cleared off the line, before Harper safely held Cox’s curling follow-up attempt.

McLean steered a left-footed effort well wide on a rare Hull counter and Jones saved very well with his legs to deny Matt Fryatt after George Boyd’s through ball gave him a good opening eight minutes from time.

A late Hull winner would have been very harsh on O’s, given their dominance of the tie, but a mistake by Gorman allowed Liam Rosenior to break upfield and tee up Fryatt, who forced a diving save from Jones with only two minutes of normal time remaining.

Conor Townsend and Calum Jahraldo-Martin were booked in quick succession at the start of extra time after poor tackles on Odubajo and Vincelot.

And Hull started to look slightly more threatening in terms of genuine possession, enjoying more territory before the break.

Steve Bruce sent Brady on for McLean and the move paid handsome dividends within seconds of the restart as Clarke cut out Fryatt’s cross from the right, but Brady pounced on the loose ball and turned it past Jones.

Cox went close to an equaliser with five minutes left, forcing Harper into a diving save, as O’s fought bravely to the last. But it wasn’t to be.

Orient: Jones, Omozusi, Vincelot, Cuthbert, Cox, James, Lisbie (Lasimant 66), Mooney, Odubajo, Clarke, Bartley (Gorman 70).

Unused subs: Baudry, Larkins, Lee, Vanderhyde.

Hull: Harper, Rosenior, Bruce, Meyler, Fryatt, McShane, Boyd, Dudgeon, McLean (Brady 105), Stewart (Townsend 55), Proschwitz (Jahraldo-Martin 67).

Unused subs: Jakupovic, Chester, Davies, Aluko.

Referee: Gavin Ward.

Attendance: 3,181 (including 384 Hull fans).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter