Boy, 4, evacuated with residents after toast fire in Goodmayes flat

PUBLISHED: 12:07 05 October 2012 | UPDATED: 12:13 05 October 2012

Residents, including a four year-old-boy, were evacuated from Goodmayes flats when burning toast started a small fire last night.

Two women and the boy were moved out of their homes in Kildowan Road at around 11pm to avoid smoke inhalation.

Crew manager Dave Weighill, of Ilford fire station, said the evacuation was “just a precaution”.

He added: “The lady, who was 38, had fallen asleep under the influence of prescription sleeping tablets and left toast under the grill.

“The boy from the flat above hadn’t taken in any smoke, he was fine.”

A London Ambulance spokesman said an ambulance crews and paramedics were sent along with a hazard response team but no one needed hospital treatment.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder