Bowled over! Thousands enjoy Sri Lankan cricket festival in Hainault
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people descended on Hainault on Sunday to enjoy “the largest Sri Lankan community event in the country”.
All day teams took part in the Festival of Cricket, in Hainault Recreation Grounds, Forest Road, while children enjoyed the play area and onlookers ate delicious food.
Honorary president of the event Shiran Almeida estimated more than 4,000 people showed up.
“It was a great day, people really enjoyed themselves and despite a little rain we were able to play cricket most of the day,” Mr Almeida said.
“We have tried to get more young teams, and more community teams, involved this year.”
You may also want to watch:
This was the first year women’s teams competed, and Mr Almeida explained they wanted more to take part in 2017.
“There were four ladies teams playing this year, and we want more ladies and community teams next year.
- 1 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 2 Gants Hill Lloyds branch closes after more than 80 years
- 3 Update: Missing Chigwell man found
- 4 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 5 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 6 'No child goes hungry': Hainault school launches free breakfast club
- 7 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 8 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 9 Traffic near the Dartford Crossing builds as Insulate Britain block M25
- 10 'Every match is tough,' says Frenford FC boss Forbes
“That is what we are focusing on.” Mr Almeida said a lot of residents from Hainault and Barkingside came along, and everyone had a great time.