Bowled over! Thousands enjoy Sri Lankan cricket festival in Hainault
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people descended on Hainault on Sunday to enjoy “the largest Sri Lankan community event in the country”.
All day teams took part in the Festival of Cricket, in Hainault Recreation Grounds, Forest Road, while children enjoyed the play area and onlookers ate delicious food.
Honorary president of the event Shiran Almeida estimated more than 4,000 people showed up.
“It was a great day, people really enjoyed themselves and despite a little rain we were able to play cricket most of the day,” Mr Almeida said.
“We have tried to get more young teams, and more community teams, involved this year.”
This was the first year women’s teams competed, and Mr Almeida explained they wanted more to take part in 2017.
“There were four ladies teams playing this year, and we want more ladies and community teams next year.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 3 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 4 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 5 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 6 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 7 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 8 Covid-19: How Redbridge's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 10 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
“That is what we are focusing on.” Mr Almeida said a lot of residents from Hainault and Barkingside came along, and everyone had a great time.