Borough Commander gives talk at South Woodford mosque on young jihadists joining Iraq and Syria conflict
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge Borough commander gave a “marvellous” talk on dissuading young Muslims from taking up arms and joining the war in Iraq and Syria on Friday.
Det Ch Supt Sue Williams visited South Woodford Mosque, in Mulberry Way, South Woodford, to give the talk on an issue which Muslim communities across the country are facing in the wake of the threat from Islamic State (IS).
Dr Mohammed Fahim, the imam at the mosque, also gave a talk addressing the misconceptions of Islam, which he believes have been exaggerated by IS’ rise.
He said: “Her speech was marvellous and was about reducing local crime, too.
“The borough commander spoke about how people of a young age may want to be famous and adventurous beyond the imagination of their parents, but how we should report this to the police.
You may also want to watch:
“We should have courage as parents to stop this happening.”
In his own speech, he said: “Unfortunately, some Muslims are well as non-Muslims interpret the word “Jihad” as only to mean fighting a Holy war against non-Muslims.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
“This is incorrect because firstly not every war is Holy and secondly participating in a Holy war is one of several forms of Jihad as defined by the Qu’ran and the Prophet Mohammed.
“Fighting for name, fame or booty is not a fight - a war of aggression is not Holy.”