Search

Boris Johnson urged to act now over Newbury Park black-spot after second crash death

PUBLISHED: 12:21 16 May 2013 | UPDATED: 13:24 16 May 2013

A woman named Jothy was killed in a car crash outside Newbury Park tube station on Monday night. Flowers were left at the side of the road in tribute to her.

A woman named Jothy was killed in a car crash outside Newbury Park tube station on Monday night. Flowers were left at the side of the road in tribute to her.

Archant

Residents and councillors are demanding urgent action to tackle a notorious accident black-spot outside Newbury Park Tube station after a woman became the second persom to die there, nearly a year after Boris Johnson pledged to improve safety.

A tribute left at the scene by Newbury Park Tube station.A tribute left at the scene by Newbury Park Tube station.

The 29-year-old driver, who has not been formally identified, died on Monday after her Vauxhall Corsa collided with a silver BMW in Eastern Avenue at about 11.10pm.

Paramedics could not save her. The results of the post-mortem are expected later today.

The 23-year-old BMW driver suffered minor injuries and was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

He has been bailed until June.

Police believe the woman had been travelling westbound on the A12 and was turning across the eastbound carriageway when the collision happened.

The previous victim was 69-year-old Dusan Danilovic, who was killed in a pile-up on January 1, 2011.

On Tuesday at about 4pm there was another accident at the same spot, although there were no injuries.

Newbury Park resident Mahmul Islam said he has seen numerous crashes there in the 10 years he has lived in the area.

He heard Monday’s accident from his Hertford Road home and rushed to the scene. He said: “I can’t describe it, the cars were so badly damaged.

“When the ambulances came I thought the lady might be OK, but she was dead.”

Cllr Dev Sharma said residents and councillors had called for action for years.

He added: “It was an accident waiting to happen and now sadly someone has died.”

Responding to a Question Time request by Havering and Redbridge London Assembly member Roger Evans in June, the Mayor of London said new traffic lights would be installed at the junction by October 2013 with “other measures” in the meantime.

But although Transport for London (TfL) “explored” possibilities, nothing was changed.

A spokesman for the mayor said: “He has directed TfL to make urgent improvements and we expect work on new traffic signals to be completed by the autumn.”

Cllr Debbie Kaur-Thiara urged Mr Johnson to “act immediately”.

She added: “We should not have to wait for months on end to see some action.”

Anyone who witnessed the crash is asked to call poolice on 020 8597 4874.

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists