Bollywood star gears up for Redbridge Carnival
A BOLLYWOOD star who will wow crowds at this weekend’s Redbridge Carnival will sing a song in support of the Pakistan flood appeal as she does her bit to raise desperately needed funds.
Sofia Hayat, who got through to the final four of Channel 4’s talent show Bollywood Star, will captivate revellers at Valentines Park, Ilford, with her “Lady Gaga meets Bollywood” routine.
She will debut tracks from her soon to be released album, with a fashion show mixed into the performance.
The carnival is raising money for victims of the devastating Pakistan floods through a �1 adult and 50p per child entrance fee.
The 30-year-old singer says the cause is one which is close to her heart.
She told the Recorder: “I’m from Pakistan myself so it is something that’s really close to my heart.
“I hope people will have a good time and also remember why we’re there.”
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 3 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 4 Pair charged with creating fake Covid vaccination records
- 5 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 6 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 7 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 8 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 9 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
- 10 Five tower blocks included in housing plans for Sainsbury's in Ilford
Carnival organisers are expecting a crowd of 7,000 on both Saturday and Sunday, and Sofia cannot wait to take to the stage.
She said: “I’m really excited. It will be a big crowd and the stage is quite big so I’m sure we’ll put on a great show.”
A parade from Ilford Town Centre will be held on Sunday, with deputy mayor Cllr Ruth Clark setting it off, while a five-a-side football tournament is being held on Saturday for youngsters aged up to 16.
The head of West Ham United’s football academy will be at the park to see the talent on show.