Bollywood star gears up for Redbridge Carnival
A BOLLYWOOD star who will wow crowds at this weekend’s Redbridge Carnival will sing a song in support of the Pakistan flood appeal as she does her bit to raise desperately needed funds.
Sofia Hayat, who got through to the final four of Channel 4’s talent show Bollywood Star, will captivate revellers at Valentines Park, Ilford, with her “Lady Gaga meets Bollywood” routine.
She will debut tracks from her soon to be released album, with a fashion show mixed into the performance.
The carnival is raising money for victims of the devastating Pakistan floods through a �1 adult and 50p per child entrance fee.
The 30-year-old singer says the cause is one which is close to her heart.
You may also want to watch:
She told the Recorder: “I’m from Pakistan myself so it is something that’s really close to my heart.
“I hope people will have a good time and also remember why we’re there.”
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 6 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 7 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 8 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
Carnival organisers are expecting a crowd of 7,000 on both Saturday and Sunday, and Sofia cannot wait to take to the stage.
She said: “I’m really excited. It will be a big crowd and the stage is quite big so I’m sure we’ll put on a great show.”
A parade from Ilford Town Centre will be held on Sunday, with deputy mayor Cllr Ruth Clark setting it off, while a five-a-side football tournament is being held on Saturday for youngsters aged up to 16.
The head of West Ham United’s football academy will be at the park to see the talent on show.