Blockbuster goes into administration threatening Woodford Green jobs
DVD rental firm Blockbuster which has a branch in Woodford Green has gone into administration, it was announced today.
The company has struggled against internet rentals and sales in recent years.
It has 528 stores across the UK, including one in The Broadway, and employs 4,190 staff.
Business advisory firm Deloitte have been appointed adminstrators.
Lee Manning, of Deloitte, said: “In recent years Blockbuster has faced increased competition from, internet based providers along with the shift to digital streaming of movies and games.
You may also want to watch:
“We are working closely with suppliers and employees to ensure the business has the best possible platform to secure a sale, preserve jobs and generate as much value as possible for all creditors.
“The core of the business is still profitable and we will continue to trade as normal in both retail and rental whilst we seek a buyer for all or parts of the business as a going concern.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 5 Sikh volunteer group hands out food to celebrate International Langar Week
- 6 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
“During this time gift cards and credit acquired through Blockbuster’s trade-in scheme will be honoured towards the purchase of goods.”
Staff at the Woodford Green store were unable to comment on the news this afternoon.