Big screens in Ilford ready for Opening Ceremony as entertainers come to town
Flying acrobats, lively vegetables and a man who turns into a fountain will visit Ilford this afternoon to celebrate the start of the Olympic Games.
The Showtime event in Ilford Town Centre, High Road, is part of the Mayor of London Presents programme across the capital, and will see The Bureau of Silly Ideas’ troupe come dressed as acrobatic road workers to combine high jinks with flying cones.
And the Vegetable Nannies’ interactive show including a cast of vegetable characters will help children to learn about their greens.
The Spurting Man is billed as a “classic and hilarious slice of British street theatre” which sees man become fountain backed by the notes of Ravel’s Bolero.
Les Grooms will provide music and comedy called Fanfare Tout Terrain and the 3rdThought theatre company perform poems, stories and jokes.
You may also want to watch:
The six-hour event will run from 4-9pm, the start time of the Olympic Opening Ceremony in Stratford.
The Showtime tour is going to every London borough combining British street artists with international performers.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 3 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 4 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 7 Cycling access extended at Wanstead Park
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 9 Oxford student bids to improve top university access for state school pupils
- 10 Former Woodford Police Station could become office space