Barkingside supermarket staff race their way to �1,350
Staff and customers challenged each other to a special race at a Barkingside supermarket to raise funds for cancer research.
Tesco, in Cranbrook Road, organised a Cycle to Lapland charity fundraiser on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in which participants peddled as fast they could on one of three exercise bikes.
Organiser Julie Cotton said: “We managed to raise �1,352 which was over our target so we were very happy about that and over the three days volunteers cycled a massive 997km.
“We had so much support and a lot of fun. Out staff loved getting involved and racing each other.
“It was a fantastic weekend and I want to thank Redbridge Sports Centre for lending us the bikes and for the two personal trainers who came down to help.”
You may also want to watch:
The money raised will be donated to Stand Up For Cancer, which funds cancer research in the hope treatments become more readily available to patients.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 4 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 7 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London