Barkingside sports centre marks 40 years with family fundraisers
A Barkingside sports centre is celebrating its 40th anniversary with a series of special events including a 1970s roller disco, trampolining in pyjamas and a dance challenge for Sports Relief.
Redbridge Sports and Leisure in Forest Road, Barkingside, which opened in 1972, is holding a 1970s party night tomorrow (Friday) followed by a roller disco on Saturday night.
Proceeds from the latter will go to the national Sports Relief cause through a �1 donation from every �5 ticket. Roller discos have been held at the centre for the last six months through the company Razzamatazz Roller Disco. Their business development officer, Bianca Cattle, said the nights have turned into popular family events in Barkingside.
She said: “We wanted to turn back the clock and hold a 70s themed roller disco.
“Every Saturday evening, parents and children whizz around the sports hall listening to their favourite tracks.
You may also want to watch:
“In fact the parents seem to have more fun than the children.
“It’s a great way to be active and burn off the calories.”
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 3 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 4 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 5 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 6 Thames Water says its drainage systems did not fail during flash floods
- 7 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 8 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
A spinathon runs tomorrow (Friday - 9am to 6pm), the trampolining is on Saturday and the dance challenge is on Sunday from 2.30pm to 5pm,
Boxercise and a “birthday basketball bonanza” will be held this evening.
Full details of the centre’s birthday schedule, including how to register for events and applicable fees, can be found on their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/RSLTRUST or by calling 020 8498 1010.