Barkingside songwriter, 89, parties with Sir Terry Wogan
An 89-year-old Barkingside songwriter brushed shoulders with the stars on Monday at a party hosted by Sir Terry Wogan.
Jo Masters, of Tanners Lane, was a finalist in last year’s ‘Oldie Composers’ songwriting competition, where her song was in the running to be on a charity album.
House of Tears narrowly missed the final cut but as the oldest competitor, Jo was invited to a glitzy party in central London, where she met presenter Aled Jones and actor Anthony Head from TV programme Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
The party was held for the launch of the four winning songs on iTunes.
She said: “I got Sir Terry’s autograph and even got a kiss on the cheek. I’m one of his oldest geezers.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone was very kind. You really didn’t think of them as stars, they were just like you and me.”
Jo is now part of TOGS (Terry’s Old Geezers network) and was invited to take part in next year’s competition.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 5 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 6 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 9 School Streets scheme to expand in September
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
In the meantime, her talents are in demand from the other side of the world.
A choir in Australia has asked her to arrange her song Make no waves for them to perform and she will be interviewed on Australian radio station Phoenix FM on June 26 – her 90th birthday.
Jo has been entertaining since the age of four and shows no sign of stopping.
She has written more than 200 songs and showcases her tunes and comedy tracks on YouTube.
See them at www.croozy.com/jo.