Barkingside murder: Teenage girl was strangled
A 17-year-old girl found dying in a Barkingside flat lost her life as a result of “compression to the neck”.
Detectives have now officially launched a murder investigation.
The teenager was found in a flat above the Buy Labels For Less clothes store in High Street at around 4pm on Tuesday.
Police say they believe they know the identity of the girl and have informed her next of kin, but are waiting for formal identification.
London Ambulance Service paramedics found her alive, but she died shortly after.
You may also want to watch:
Police say they were called to the flat after reports of a “disturbance”.
The post-mortem was held at Walthamstow Mortuary yesterday.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
An inquest is due to open and adjourn at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court in the next few days.
An incident room has been set up under the command of Acting Det Ch Insp John Nicholson of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command at Barking.
Anyone with information should contact the incident room on 020 8345 3985, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
• A 21-year old man has been arrested in connection with the inquiry and remains in custody at an unnamed east London police station.