Barkingside murder: Teenage girl was strangled
A 17-year-old girl found dying in a Barkingside flat lost her life as a result of “compression to the neck”.
Detectives have now officially launched a murder investigation.
The teenager was found in a flat above the Buy Labels For Less clothes store in High Street at around 4pm on Tuesday.
Police say they believe they know the identity of the girl and have informed her next of kin, but are waiting for formal identification.
London Ambulance Service paramedics found her alive, but she died shortly after.
You may also want to watch:
Police say they were called to the flat after reports of a “disturbance”.
The post-mortem was held at Walthamstow Mortuary yesterday.
- 1 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 2 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 8 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
An inquest is due to open and adjourn at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court in the next few days.
An incident room has been set up under the command of Acting Det Ch Insp John Nicholson of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command at Barking.
Anyone with information should contact the incident room on 020 8345 3985, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
• A 21-year old man has been arrested in connection with the inquiry and remains in custody at an unnamed east London police station.