Barkingside murder: New arrest as man held for 60 hours released
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a teenage girl was found strangled in a Barkingside flat.
The man’s age is not known at this stage.
The 17-year-old girl was found dead in a flat above the Buy Labels For Less clothes store in High Street at around 4pm on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a 21-year-old man arrested in connection with the inquiry has today been released with no further action taken.
The teenage girl’s next of kin have been informed of her death, but police are waiting for formal identification before releasing her name.
You may also want to watch:
A post-mortem held at Walthamstow Mortuary gave the cause of death as compression to the neck.
Officers were called to the flat on Tuesday to reports of a “disturbance”.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 3 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 6 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 7 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 8 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 9 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 10 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
An inquest is due to open and adjourn at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court in the next few days.
An incident room has been set up under the command of Acting Det Ch Insp John Nicholson of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command at Barking.
Anyone with information should contact the incident room on 020 8345 3985, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.