Barkingside murder: New arrest as man held for 60 hours released
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a teenage girl was found strangled in a Barkingside flat.
The man’s age is not known at this stage.
The 17-year-old girl was found dead in a flat above the Buy Labels For Less clothes store in High Street at around 4pm on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a 21-year-old man arrested in connection with the inquiry has today been released with no further action taken.
The teenage girl’s next of kin have been informed of her death, but police are waiting for formal identification before releasing her name.
You may also want to watch:
A post-mortem held at Walthamstow Mortuary gave the cause of death as compression to the neck.
Officers were called to the flat on Tuesday to reports of a “disturbance”.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 9 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 10 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
An inquest is due to open and adjourn at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court in the next few days.
An incident room has been set up under the command of Acting Det Ch Insp John Nicholson of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command at Barking.
Anyone with information should contact the incident room on 020 8345 3985, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.