Barkingside murder: New arrest as man held for 60 hours released
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a teenage girl was found strangled in a Barkingside flat.
The man’s age is not known at this stage.
The 17-year-old girl was found dead in a flat above the Buy Labels For Less clothes store in High Street at around 4pm on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a 21-year-old man arrested in connection with the inquiry has today been released with no further action taken.
The teenage girl’s next of kin have been informed of her death, but police are waiting for formal identification before releasing her name.
You may also want to watch:
A post-mortem held at Walthamstow Mortuary gave the cause of death as compression to the neck.
Officers were called to the flat on Tuesday to reports of a “disturbance”.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
An inquest is due to open and adjourn at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court in the next few days.
An incident room has been set up under the command of Acting Det Ch Insp John Nicholson of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command at Barking.
Anyone with information should contact the incident room on 020 8345 3985, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.