Barkingside murder: Cheryl Tariah was a ‘bold personality’ who dreamed of fashion career

A teenager who died in a Barkingside flat after being strangled has been described as a “lovely, bubbly girl” who dreamed of being a fashion designer.

Cheryl Tariah, 17, was found dead in the flat above Buy Labels For Less, High Street, at around 4pm on Tuesday.

She lived in Dunlowe Avenue, Tottenham and went to Chelmsford College where she was studying art.

College principal David Law said: “Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this impossibly difficult time.

“Clearly, her fellow students and the staff of the college are shocked and upset by this tragic news. Since her death, tributes from staff and students have been pouring in.

You may also want to watch:

“Professional counselling has been in place this week and additional support is being provided, at this very testing time, by the college chaplain. “We will continue to provide counselling for as long as students and staff need it.

“The college community is coming together, united in grief, to provide mutual support.”

Most Read

He added: “Fellow students have described her as a lovely bubbly girl.

“She was a strong and bold personality, well-liked by both her peers and the teaching staff.

“In her short time at the college her talent for fashion was abundantly clear. She wanted to be a brilliant fashion designer and, given the opportunity, she would undoubtedly have fulfilled her ambition. She is sadly missed.”

Police were called to the flat where Cheryl died on Tuesday following reports of a “disturbance”.

A post-mortem carried out at Walthamstow Mortuary on Wednesday gave the cause of death as compression of the neck.

An incident room has been set up under the command of Acting Det Ch Insp John Nicholson of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command at Barking.

Anyone with information should contact the incident room on 020 8345 3985, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

• An 18-year-old man was arrested earlier today on suspicion of murder. He remains in police custody. A 21-year-old man arrested on Tuesday in connection with the investigation was released today with no further action to be taken.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter