Barkingside gran ready for year-long sail around the world
A grandmother who hopes to raise �20,000 by sailing around the world is preparing for her epic adventure.
Catherine Draper, 60, of Hamilton Avenue, Barkingside, sets off on her 40,000-mile journey from Southampton on Saturday.
The gruelling test of endurance will take her 11 months as part of a crew of 18 on board a yacht on the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.
Speaking to the Recorder earlier this month Mrs Draper said: “I’m apprehensive, excited and nervous all rolled into one.”
Her adventure will raise money for the Hornchurch charity Kids Alive, which provides education, food and clothes for children in Africa.
You may also want to watch:
To support Catherine, visit www.justgiving.com/catherinedraper.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 10 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault