Barkingside gran ready for year-long sail around the world
A grandmother who hopes to raise �20,000 by sailing around the world is preparing for her epic adventure.
Catherine Draper, 60, of Hamilton Avenue, Barkingside, sets off on her 40,000-mile journey from Southampton on Saturday.
The gruelling test of endurance will take her 11 months as part of a crew of 18 on board a yacht on the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.
Speaking to the Recorder earlier this month Mrs Draper said: “I’m apprehensive, excited and nervous all rolled into one.”
Her adventure will raise money for the Hornchurch charity Kids Alive, which provides education, food and clothes for children in Africa.
You may also want to watch:
To support Catherine, visit www.justgiving.com/catherinedraper.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 2 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 3 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 4 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 5 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 6 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
- 9 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 10 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development