Barkingside gran ready for year-long sail around the world
A grandmother who hopes to raise �20,000 by sailing around the world is preparing for her epic adventure.
Catherine Draper, 60, of Hamilton Avenue, Barkingside, sets off on her 40,000-mile journey from Southampton on Saturday.
The gruelling test of endurance will take her 11 months as part of a crew of 18 on board a yacht on the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.
Speaking to the Recorder earlier this month Mrs Draper said: “I’m apprehensive, excited and nervous all rolled into one.”
Her adventure will raise money for the Hornchurch charity Kids Alive, which provides education, food and clothes for children in Africa.
You may also want to watch:
To support Catherine, visit www.justgiving.com/catherinedraper.
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP