Barkingside cafe offering free Christmas dinner to over 60s
A Barkingside cafe is spreading the festive cheer with a huge free dinner for the over 60s on Christmas Day.
Cafe 104, in Tanners Lane, is inviting anyone who will be spending the day alone to join them for a traditional feast, entertainment and a raffle.
Owners Shep and Tommy Aygul were inspired by their regular customers to do something special.
Stacey Aygul, who will be volunteering on the day, said: “We have the luxury of having a huge family and we spend it with them but a lot of people’s families live too far away or their husbands and wives have died.
“We knew a few customers were on their own and when we put the poster up, more and more people said they would come.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of customers have donated as well, it’s been fantastic.”
Dinner will be served between 12-3pm but numbers are limited. Please call 020 8550 9563 to book a place.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 3 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 7 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 8 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 9 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London