Barkingside and South Woodford post offices affected by strike action this afternoon
- Credit: Archant
Barkingside and South Woodford post offices will be affected by strike action this afternoon as staff walk out for the third time in recent weeks over jobs, pay and franchise plans.
Barkingside Post Office, in High Street, is one of around 70 crown offices that could be moved into a shop in cost-cutting measures planned to stem £40million losses.
South Woodford Post Office, in George Lane, will not be affected under the plans but union members may also strike this afternoon from 1pm.
The Communication Workers Union (CWU) called the nationwide strike in an ongoing dispute about jobs, pay and plans for the network.
A spokesman said managers at the Post Office are “refusing to negotiate” and questioned the company’s calculations of what its pay claim could cost.
You may also want to watch:
National official Andy Furey said crown offices, which are directly run by the company, are vital to local communities.
He added: “They really are the driver and heart of the network which is why we are so concerned about the closure and franchise plans.”
- 1 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 2 Seven Kings barbers closes after 62 years in business
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Ilford grandfather to run 37th London Marathon months after Covid battle
- 5 Council to approve children's performances after monkey costume scandal
- 6 'Grab this chance to save her life': Wanstead woman battling chronic illness urgently needs £200k for surgeries
- 7 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 8 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 9 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 10 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
But Post Office network and sales director Kevin Gilliland said franchised branches would offer access to the same range products and services.
He added: “The CWU is in denial of the need for us to modernise our crown network.”
More than 10,000 branches are already run as a franchise, including offices in Ilford, Seven Kings and Wanstead.