Barkingside and South Woodford post offices affected by strike action this afternoon
- Credit: Archant
Barkingside and South Woodford post offices will be affected by strike action this afternoon as staff walk out for the third time in recent weeks over jobs, pay and franchise plans.
Barkingside Post Office, in High Street, is one of around 70 crown offices that could be moved into a shop in cost-cutting measures planned to stem £40million losses.
South Woodford Post Office, in George Lane, will not be affected under the plans but union members may also strike this afternoon from 1pm.
The Communication Workers Union (CWU) called the nationwide strike in an ongoing dispute about jobs, pay and plans for the network.
A spokesman said managers at the Post Office are “refusing to negotiate” and questioned the company’s calculations of what its pay claim could cost.
You may also want to watch:
National official Andy Furey said crown offices, which are directly run by the company, are vital to local communities.
He added: “They really are the driver and heart of the network which is why we are so concerned about the closure and franchise plans.”
- 1 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 2 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 3 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 4 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 7 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites
- 8 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 9 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 10 Council leader hails 'affordable' housing development in Wanstead
But Post Office network and sales director Kevin Gilliland said franchised branches would offer access to the same range products and services.
He added: “The CWU is in denial of the need for us to modernise our crown network.”
More than 10,000 branches are already run as a franchise, including offices in Ilford, Seven Kings and Wanstead.