Barkingside 89-year-old’s songs gets new lease of life Down Under
An 89-year-old Barkingside songwriter said she was delighted her music has met with public acclaim despite falling at the last hurdle of a national competition.
Jo Masters, of Tanners Lane, and her tune House of Tears got through to the final 50 of the Oldie Composers’ Songwriting competition through a public vote.
Unfortunately she learned yesterday that the song wasn’t selected by DJ judges including Sir Terry Wogan to be recorded professionally.
But through one of Jo’s daughters championing her cause in Australia, her music has found a new lease of life Down Under.
Three of her songs, from a selection of over 200 comedic and romantic numbers composed on her home piano, have got airplay on Australian radio station Phoenix FM.
You may also want to watch:
And Jo may still achieve her lifelong ambition to have her music recorded professionally as a Melbourne-based singer, Hetty Kate, has expressed an interest.
Jo said: “It was a shame not to go further in the competition but I was delighted to get so far. “They are keen on the songs down in Australia and I’m delighted they’ve got an airing. “It would be wonderful if they were recorded.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 8 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
“We managed to hear the Australian radio broadcast even though there’s a ten hour gap - it was really nice.”
To hear Jo’s music, visit www.croozy.com/jo.