Barkingside 89-year-old’s songs gets new lease of life Down Under
An 89-year-old Barkingside songwriter said she was delighted her music has met with public acclaim despite falling at the last hurdle of a national competition.
Jo Masters, of Tanners Lane, and her tune House of Tears got through to the final 50 of the Oldie Composers’ Songwriting competition through a public vote.
Unfortunately she learned yesterday that the song wasn’t selected by DJ judges including Sir Terry Wogan to be recorded professionally.
But through one of Jo’s daughters championing her cause in Australia, her music has found a new lease of life Down Under.
Three of her songs, from a selection of over 200 comedic and romantic numbers composed on her home piano, have got airplay on Australian radio station Phoenix FM.
You may also want to watch:
And Jo may still achieve her lifelong ambition to have her music recorded professionally as a Melbourne-based singer, Hetty Kate, has expressed an interest.
Jo said: “It was a shame not to go further in the competition but I was delighted to get so far. “They are keen on the songs down in Australia and I’m delighted they’ve got an airing. “It would be wonderful if they were recorded.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 6 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 7 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 8 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 9 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 10 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
“We managed to hear the Australian radio broadcast even though there’s a ten hour gap - it was really nice.”
To hear Jo’s music, visit www.croozy.com/jo.