Barking man charged and another arrested over robbery where shopkeeper Shammi Atwal died
- Credit: Archant
A Barking man has been charged after a Chigwell dad was killed chasing a gang of armed men who robbed his store.
Father-of-two Shammi Atwal died when he was pushed under a moving lorry as he pursued the group from his shop in River Road, Barking, on October 14.
He was running Glen & Co Cash & Carry with his 37-year-old wife, who suffered minor injuries in the robbery.
Farhan Sheikh, 38, of Thornhill Gardens, Barking, was charged yesterday with conspiracy to rob and is due to appear at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court today.
A fourth suspect, aged 25, was arrested yesterday on suspicion of murder and robbery and is being held in custody at an east London police station.
You may also want to watch:
Two people have previously been charged in connection with Mr Atwal’s death.
Vidmantas Gonskoves, 26, of Grange Road, Plaistow, and Aurimas Diliunas, 27,of Rosslyn Road, Barking, appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Monday charged with manslaughter and robbery.
- 1 Medical student who helped injured biker calls for more first aid training
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 4 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 5 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 6 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 9 Letter: High-density housing plans in Redbridge
- 10 Primary school creates memorial garden for pupils to remember loved ones
Both were remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on November 4.