Bancroft girls book a place in the national finals
Bancroft School’s under-19 netballers have made it through to the prestigious finals of the National Schools’ netball tournament.
They booked their place at Southampton on March 19 after finishing as runners-up in the regional finals held in Rainham against teams from Essex, Kent, Middlesex and Surrey.
Of seven matches the Woodford Green girls won six, never conceding more than nine goals in a game until the final where they were defeated 12-9 by a strong Barking Abbey side.
They had held a narrow lead at the end of the first half, but they were unable to hold out for the win. However, team coach Pam Telford believes they can get the better against Barking Abbey in the finals.
“There will be a lot of very strong teams in Southampton, especially from the large sixth form colleges, where they have over 1,000 students from which to select the team,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“The girls work 100 per cent for each other, their teamwork is superb and there are no stars.”
This team won the Nationals in 2007 as under-14s and were bronze medallists as under-16s two years later.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 7 Political fight as council shifts money away from opposition party
- 8 Seven Kings novelist among winners of London Writers Awards
- 9 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Fly-tipping initiative at Redbridge Council up for national award
In a busy week for the girls they also took part in an invitation-only Canterbury tournament at Kings School and came away victorious.
They won all their five games in the qualifying round before beating the hosts in the final.