Two men arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and arson after A406 fire in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
Police have arrested two men on suspicion of arson and attempted murder after a fire next to the A406 in Ilford last night (June 18).
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called at 11.45pm to reports of a tent fire on land next to the southbound carriageway.
Police and London Ambulance Service also attended.
Two men were found suffering burns and both have been taken to an east London hospital - one man remains in a critical condition but the second man's injuries are not thought to be life threatening.
Two other men were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and arson and both remain in custody at an east London police station.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews from Ilford, Stratford and East Ham attended the scene.
The tent was destroyed by the fire and a large area of wasteland was damaged.
- 1 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 2 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 3 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Tributes paid to Ilford jazz legend Keith Nichols, who died from Covid
- 8 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.
The southbound section of the A406 at Ilford remains closed today (June 19).