Army taking part in Redbridge Carnival for first time in 20 years
The army is to take part in this year’s Redbridge Carnival for the first time in more than two decades.
The Territorial Army (TA) 240 Transport Squadron, part of the 151 London Transport Regiment, is sending its latest MAN V logistics vehicle to take part in the parade.
Derek Gregory, operational support officer, said: “The soldiers are delighted to be taking part. It gives them a chance to show off their latest equipment and tell people what the army is all about.”
Four soldiers will man a static stand providing information to the public about what the TA does.
Mr Gregory said: “There is a perception that the TA is a kind of dad’s army made up of people who join the Army as a part-time hobby. This could not be further from the truth.”
You may also want to watch:
The TA’s 240 Squadron is responsible for transporting the military’s ammunition, weapons and supplies.
Mr Gregory said: “The TA is fully integrated into the army and goes on operations the same as the army, which is the message we want to get across.”
- 1 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 3 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 7 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 8 Redbridge Tories urge front desk re-opening at Barkingside Police Station
- 9 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 10 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
The Redbridge Carnival is being held in Ilford Town Centre on June 4 and 5.