Army taking part in Redbridge Carnival for first time in 20 years
The army is to take part in this year’s Redbridge Carnival for the first time in more than two decades.
The Territorial Army (TA) 240 Transport Squadron, part of the 151 London Transport Regiment, is sending its latest MAN V logistics vehicle to take part in the parade.
Derek Gregory, operational support officer, said: “The soldiers are delighted to be taking part. It gives them a chance to show off their latest equipment and tell people what the army is all about.”
Four soldiers will man a static stand providing information to the public about what the TA does.
Mr Gregory said: “There is a perception that the TA is a kind of dad’s army made up of people who join the Army as a part-time hobby. This could not be further from the truth.”
You may also want to watch:
The TA’s 240 Squadron is responsible for transporting the military’s ammunition, weapons and supplies.
Mr Gregory said: “The TA is fully integrated into the army and goes on operations the same as the army, which is the message we want to get across.”
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 8 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 9 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
The Redbridge Carnival is being held in Ilford Town Centre on June 4 and 5.