All Redbridge parks will be closed tomorrow to vehicles due to Travellers eviction
- Credit: Archant
In response to a threat of “illegal encampment”, all parks in Redbridge will be shut to vehicles tomorrow.
A group of Travellers will be evicted from a location in the borough and Redbridge Council is acting to ensure that they do not move to another green space in the vicinity.
A council spokesman said: “On Thursday September 28, all of our parks will be closed to vehicles because of the threat of illegal encampment.
“Pedestrian access will not be affected.
“We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause visitors.”
You may also want to watch:
The Recorder understands that the council is acting on advice from the police by not allowing vehicles entry into open spaces.
Despite erecting barriers and locking gates at other locations, the local authority’s powers are very limited to stop Travellers occupying land.
- 1 Calls for investigation into insurance giant's takeover of GP surgeries
- 2 'We've suffered with severe mouse infestation next door for 10 years'
- 3 Primary school runs NHS charity drive in honour of Captain Sir Tom Moore
- 4 No 10 at odds with Redbridge Council over masks for primary children
- 5 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 6 Seven Kings pupils show appreciation for frontline workers
- 7 Ilford church turns into vaccine pop-up clinic
- 8 How many Covid vaccinations have been given where you live?
- 9 Appeal to trace man following brutal Ilford gang rape
- 10 Sadiq has proposed Boundary Charge for cars coming from outside London
In the last few weeks Travellers have set up camp at the former Valentine pub in Gants Hill, The Doctor Johnson in Clayhall and Tesco car park in Goodmayes.
They also stayed a couple of days in Ilford, next to a school.