Search

All of Ilford mum’s worldly possessions taken to landfill in error

PUBLISHED: 07:00 17 May 2018

The woman was fleeing an abusive relationship. Picture: Owen Humphreys

The woman was fleeing an abusive relationship. Picture: Owen Humphreys

PA Archive/PA Images

An Ilford mum of four lost all her worldly possessions when they were dumped by accident after Redbridge Council agreed to house her.

The woman, in her 30s, had escaped a 14-year violent relationship and was trying to build a new life with her children.

But when she handed over her possessions, including pictures of her dead son, and all her household belongings for safekeeping, the council’s contractor accidentally took them to the rubbish dump.

The storage company, Crown Promotions and Storage of Rainham, would not speak about the incident, but in emails seen by the Recorder, it agreed to compensate the mum around £3,000 out of an estimated £15,000.

“I just want to begin my new life,” she said.

“I’m willing to meet them in the middle but I have four children, I can’t replace all the beds and house furniture for £3,000.

“We have all been through enough and just want to move on and build our life, but we can’t.”

In letters seen by the Recorder, a Redbridge Council employee admitted that Crown was at fault and said it had expressed sympathies for the trauma caused.

But this is not the first time that a council contractor has accidentally disposed of a resident’s possessions.

Over Christmas an Ilford family were left devastated after they returned home from shopping to find a different clearance company had mistakenly removed their possessions and dumped them in a “landfill site”.

Salema Rumy, 24, of Golfe Road, said she thought she had been burgled when she came home on December 29 and called the police.

On further inspection, she noticed that as well as missing cash, wedding jewellery and her five-year-old son’s toys, items of furniture has been taken.

The council has now said it will talk to contractors to make sure the same situation will not happen again.

“We will ensure it is made clear to the storage providers what our expectations are in the future,” a council spokeswoman said.

“The contractor should not have disposed of the items and we have been supporting the resident to make a claim to their insurers.

“We are very disappointed with the loss of personal items that the resident suffered and understand the concern it has caused.

“We understand she is unhappy with the offer and will continue to work with her to pursue the matter.”

Related articles

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists