Akinfenwa seals defeat for Daggers
League Two: Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Northampton Town 1
Adebayo Akinfenwa’s header sealed another disappointing defeat for Daggers tonight.
It was another game where Dagenham had plenty of chances but failed once more to convert.
John Still named an unchanged side from Saturday’s 1-1 draw and they started the better in this encounter.
Michael Spillane’s free-kick was deflected behind for a corner, and from the resultant dead ball Luke Wilkinson glanced a header just wide of the target.
You may also want to watch:
Woodall’s fierce effort four minutes later grazed the bar before the Cobblers began to gain a foothold in this tie.
A long throw from early substitute Ben Tozer, on for the injured Ben Harding, caused havoc in the Daggers defence and Akinfenwa’s flicked header narrowly missed the target.
- 1 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 2 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 3 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 4 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 10 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
Five minutes short of half time the chunky striker had an even better chance to take the lead, though it would have been in fortuitous circumstances.
Akinfenwa pushed Scott Doe off the ball but referee M Russell let play continue and somehow he missed the target with the effort across goal.
But after the break he finally broke the deadlock when a pinpoint corner from Chris Hackett found Akinfenwa and he headed past goalkeeper Chris Lewington from close range.
Daggers always struggled to get back into the game but sub Josh Scott brought fresh impetus to the home front line.
He went closest to giving John Still’s side a leveller when his fierce effort from the edge of the area forced Nicholls to tip round the corner.
Even Lewington came up for a stoppage time corner for the Daggers but as Doe’s header landed on the roof of the net, their chances went.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Hoyte, Doe, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Spillane, Howell, Ogogo, Elito, Gayle (Scott 69), Woodall (Williams 64).
Substitutes not used: Seabright, Dominic Green, Reed, Danny Green, Bingham.
Attendance: 1,429 (272 Northampton Town fans)