Afghanistan-bound Hainault photographer meets Fusiliers as he prepares for mission
An Afghanistan-bound father has got his first glimpse into what he can expect when he arrives in the war-torn country.
Daniel Bouskila, 31, of Hind Close, Hainault, will join the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers next year to capture through photos their high-risk assignment.
Last month, he and photographer friend Paul Smorthit visited RAF Bodney in Norfolk, and met some of the senior people who make the Fusiliers tick.
Daniel said: “We met the Officer Commanding Major Tom Kibble, Company Second-in-Command Captain Matt Selby and Company Sergeant Major Lockhart.
“They explained the complexities of field operations and physically showed us what it entails from the operations room.
You may also want to watch:
“The experience was mind-blowing in itself. The professionalism and focus to detail is what makes me proud to be associated with the Fusiliers and the British Army.”
The pair are now waiting for dates to be confirmed for future training ahead of flying out to Qatar and then on to Kabul, Afghanistan in March.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 10 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
The dad-of-two and friend Paul have been given permission by the Ministry of Defence to shadow the men and women on their tour.