A-level results: Star students accepted to Oxbridge in record numbers at Ilford County High School
Star students at Ilford County High School were celebrating record acceptances to Oxford and Cambridge.
Ten students from the school, in Fremantle Road, will be attending the world-famous institutions and many are also going to Russell Group universities.
Vincent Poon is going to study natural sciences at Girton College, Cambridge.
He got two A*s and an A in maths, physics and economics.
He said: “The fees didn’t particularly worry me. They were blown out of proportion and if you learn what the change actually means it helps a lot of people.”
You may also want to watch:
Vincent has been invited on programmes for exceptional young scientists at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel and The London International Youth Science Forum.
Classmate Shiraz Jamshaid secured a place to study medicine at Imperial College with three A*s and two As.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 Iain Duncan Smith reveals death threat as MPs pay tribute to 'unfailingly kind' colleague
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Ilford hosts Black History Month food festival
But head of Sixth Form Colin Jenkins said he thinks grades fell overall.
He said: “I think there’s been a general depression in grades nationwide but most students seem to be getting their university places.
“The nature of our students has meant that we haven’t seen a fall in numbers applying to univserity.”
The school was listed as the best in the country for students going to university in recent figures released by the Office for National Statistics.