An Ilford house has been damaged in an accidental fire by a lithium battery, London Fire Brigade (LFB) has said.

Half of the ground floor of a home in Meath Road was damaged in a fire yesterday (November 26). 

The cause of the blaze is believed to be the result of a lithium battery failure in a power bank and is being treated as accidental, according to LFB.

A spokesperson said: “Lithium batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller. 

"You should unplug your charger when you have finished using it and we would advise not to leave it unattended or charging while people are asleep. 

Ilford Recorder: The blaze is being treated as accidental.The blaze is being treated as accidental. (Image: London Fire Brigade)

Crews from Ilford and Barking fire stations were dispatched to the scene just before 7.30pm. 

The fire was under control by 8.49pm.

The LFB said: "Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them against being damaged too. 

“Try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as this can increase the chance of damage to cells."

Homeowners are urged to use the London Fire Brigade's online Home Fire Safety Checker to eliminate the possibility of hidden hazards in their homes.