Past and present collide as council commits to resurrecting Valentines Lido
- Credit: Redbridge Museum & Heritage Centre
Outdoor swimming is set to make a comeback in Redbridge as the council commits to resurrecting the much-loved Valentines Lido.
The move - confirmed yesterday, February 24 - represents a throwback for those who remember revelling in the outdoor pool which once graced Valentines Park.
Redbridge Council has pledged to deliver the new facility as part of an £11million package aimed at improving the borough's leisure facilities.
This investment was one of a number included in budget proposals for 2022/23 which were approved by the local authority last night.
Valentines Lido, which opened in 1924, was something of a Gants Hill gem before it closed during the 1990s.
The council has vowed to add to that legacy.
“Redbridge Council is committed to delivering a state of the art outdoor swimming Lido in the heart of Valentines Park to rival the splendour of the original 1924 Valentines Lido," a spokesperson said.
- 1 Two people arrested following Ilford drugs lab bust
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 4 Labour wins Mayfield seats in delayed election
- 5 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 6 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 7 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 8 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
- 9 Call for pictures of your Platinum Jubilee street parties and celebrations
- 10 Redbridge poetry group appeals for new members after pandemic pause
With full details to come, they added that design work is already underway to "complement the existing landscaping in the park".
This project is part of "wider plans to invest in leisure facilities across Redbridge"; other schemes include the installation of a 25-metre swimming pool in the new Wanstead Leisure Centre, the doubling of green space at Fairlop Waters and the restoration of Hainault Country Park.