Wanstead High Street shopping arcade decision delayed

The proposed development in High Street, Wanstead. Picture: arc7

The proposed development in High Street, Wanstead. Picture: arc7 - Credit: Archant

A controversial decision over plans to build a new shopping mall in Wanstead has been pushed back to September.

A planning inspectorate hearing was due to take place at Redbridge Council on Tuesday over whether to allow a four-storey building housing shops, offices and five flats at the site of J Jolliffe Ltd in the High Street.

But the meeting was abandoned after letters notifying residents of the hearing were sent out to residents a week late.

Developer Mammoth Texryte Limited amended its proposals after having its initial plans rejected by the council and an appeal turned down by the planning inspector.

Snaresbrook ward councillor, Colin Cronin said: “It’s disappointing for both the applicant and residents that it’s been pushed back because of this basic error.”


You may also want to watch:


A council spokeswoman said: “Some of the consultation letters advising residents of the date of the hearing were sent out one week late. The council drew this to the attention of the planning inspectorate ahead of the hearing and suggested it be re-scheduled for a later date.

“However, the planning inspector declined to do this and the meeting went ahead. At this meeting the inspector felt that insufficient notice had been given to objectors and the hearing was adjourned.”

Most Read

Letters will be posted out giving two week notice in advance of the next meeting which will take place on September 8.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter