VE Day: Woodford Brownies host celebratory party ahead of 70th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
The spirit of jubilation which swept over communities on VE Day was embodied at a special party.
The 19th Woodford Brownies held a celebration to imagine what the occasion must have been like for ordinary people.
The girls, 24 in total, enjoyed activities such as making bunting from recycled materials and creating flyers.
Clare Reeves, 32, leader of the unit and district commissioner for Woodford South, said: “I was very impressed by how much the girls already knew about the war and the reasons we celebrate VE Day.
“We focused on trying to imagine what it was like for the people celebrating, who had one day to pull together these amazing community events, and how they shared their limited resources to make it a truly memorable day.”
You may also want to watch:
The Brownies, who meet at Woodford Methodist Church, in Derby Road, South Woodford, also baked cakes which would have been popular at the time, but subject to rationing.
Clare said: “The girls laid a beautiful table and served the cakes to each other, making sure they all got an equal amount.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 7 Political fight as council shifts money away from opposition party
- 8 Seven Kings novelist among winners of London Writers Awards
- 9 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Fly-tipping initiative at Redbridge Council up for national award
“The girls and leaders had a great party and after all that hard work it was lovely to watch them enjoy their cakes.”
A special supplement celebrating the 70th anniversary of VE Day is inside this week’s paper, featuring residents’ memories, school activities and a spread looking at the impact of the Second World War on east London.