Remembrance Sunday: Newbury Park and Wanstead services honour the fallen
- Credit: Archant
Prayers were said, hymns were recited and war veterans remembered their fallen comrades at services in Redbridge today.
People of all ages turned out at Ilford War Memorial Gardens, Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, and Wanstead War Memorial, High Street, Wanstead, to pay their respects to those who fought in the First and Second World Wars as well as those involved in ongoing conflicts around the world.
Among the crowds in Newbury Park were former soldiers Eddie Thorogood, 89, from Wanstead and Ron Batchelor, 83, from Barkingside – both served in Korea during the Korean War from 1950 to 1953.
Eddie said: “Some of my comrades are people that got killed and I’m still thinking of them.”
Ron said: “They said it [the First World War] was the war to end all wars but we’ve had a lot of wars since – it’s a very sad thing.”
You may also want to watch:
In Wanstead 84-year-old Don Stevens, who served in the Royal Air Force, said: “I’m pleased that so many young people come to these services because the fallen should never be forgotten.”
Another service took place yesterday at Woodford War Memorial, High Road, South Woodford.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 3 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 6 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 7 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 8 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 9 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
There will be a service by Fairlop Heritage Group service at Fairlop Waters Country Park, Forest Road, Barkingside, from 10.30am on Wednesday.
There will also be a service arranged by councillors and the Royal British Legion at the Snaresbrook Garden of Remembrance, Snaresbrook Road, Wanstead, from 10.45am for 11am start.