Remembrance Sunday: Newbury Park and Wanstead services honour the fallen
- Credit: Archant
Prayers were said, hymns were recited and war veterans remembered their fallen comrades at services in Redbridge today.
People of all ages turned out at Ilford War Memorial Gardens, Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, and Wanstead War Memorial, High Street, Wanstead, to pay their respects to those who fought in the First and Second World Wars as well as those involved in ongoing conflicts around the world.
Among the crowds in Newbury Park were former soldiers Eddie Thorogood, 89, from Wanstead and Ron Batchelor, 83, from Barkingside – both served in Korea during the Korean War from 1950 to 1953.
Eddie said: “Some of my comrades are people that got killed and I’m still thinking of them.”
Ron said: “They said it [the First World War] was the war to end all wars but we’ve had a lot of wars since – it’s a very sad thing.”
You may also want to watch:
In Wanstead 84-year-old Don Stevens, who served in the Royal Air Force, said: “I’m pleased that so many young people come to these services because the fallen should never be forgotten.”
Another service took place yesterday at Woodford War Memorial, High Road, South Woodford.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
There will be a service by Fairlop Heritage Group service at Fairlop Waters Country Park, Forest Road, Barkingside, from 10.30am on Wednesday.
There will also be a service arranged by councillors and the Royal British Legion at the Snaresbrook Garden of Remembrance, Snaresbrook Road, Wanstead, from 10.45am for 11am start.