Redbridge youngsters take part in London Mela with the Dhol Academy
An academy which teaches young people in Redbridge how to drum shared the limelight with Bhangra superstars on Sunday.
The Dhol Academy, which holds classes in William Torbitt School, Aldborough Road South, Newbury Park, took part in the London Mela in Hounslow.
Members as young as 10 took part in a procession through Gunnersbury Park to the main stage where musicians including Jaz Dhami were performing.
An academy teacher, Ricky Patel, 26, of Goodmayes, said: “That was probably the best bit because that’s where everyone was dancing and getting in to it.
“The difference between our group and other groups is that the kids get involved and grow in confidence.”
You may also want to watch:
The academy’s event manager, Parminder Gill, 40, said: “The mela is really good because it brings all the communities together, everyone was intermingling.”
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 7 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 8 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 9 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 10 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead