Redbridge youngsters take part in London Mela with the Dhol Academy
An academy which teaches young people in Redbridge how to drum shared the limelight with Bhangra superstars on Sunday.
The Dhol Academy, which holds classes in William Torbitt School, Aldborough Road South, Newbury Park, took part in the London Mela in Hounslow.
Members as young as 10 took part in a procession through Gunnersbury Park to the main stage where musicians including Jaz Dhami were performing.
An academy teacher, Ricky Patel, 26, of Goodmayes, said: “That was probably the best bit because that’s where everyone was dancing and getting in to it.
“The difference between our group and other groups is that the kids get involved and grow in confidence.”
You may also want to watch:
The academy’s event manager, Parminder Gill, 40, said: “The mela is really good because it brings all the communities together, everyone was intermingling.”
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 4 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 5 Council left homeless family 'stuck in cycle of instability', report finds
- 6 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 7 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 Two in five people in Redbridge may have had Covid, data shows
- 10 Covid vaccine invitations a priority for Royal Mail, says MP