Redbridge youngsters take part in London Mela with the Dhol Academy
An academy which teaches young people in Redbridge how to drum shared the limelight with Bhangra superstars on Sunday.
The Dhol Academy, which holds classes in William Torbitt School, Aldborough Road South, Newbury Park, took part in the London Mela in Hounslow.
Members as young as 10 took part in a procession through Gunnersbury Park to the main stage where musicians including Jaz Dhami were performing.
An academy teacher, Ricky Patel, 26, of Goodmayes, said: “That was probably the best bit because that’s where everyone was dancing and getting in to it.
“The difference between our group and other groups is that the kids get involved and grow in confidence.”
You may also want to watch:
The academy’s event manager, Parminder Gill, 40, said: “The mela is really good because it brings all the communities together, everyone was intermingling.”
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Wanstead Market set to re-open
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
- 9 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 10 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'